- Start with a recap of week one
Now David has been chosen as the next King but it is a few years before he becomes King. Sometimes God has a purpose for how he wants to use us but before he can use us in that way we need to go on a journey to be equipped for that purpose.
But even as we go on the journey of changing, growing and learning God can use us along the way. As our lives are being changed he can use us to change others.
In this next part of David’s story, we look at how God used David while Saul was still king.
1 Samuel 16:14-23
"Now the Spirit of the LORD had left Saul, and the LORD sent a tormenting spirit that filled him with depression and fear. Some of Saul’s servants said to him, “A tormenting spirit from God is troubling you. Let us find a good musician to play the harp whenever the tormenting spirit troubles you. He will play soothing music, and you will soon be well again.” “All right,” Saul said. “Find me someone who plays well, and bring him here.”
One of the servants said to Saul, “One of Jesse’s sons from Bethlehem is a talented harp player. Not only that—he is a brave warrior, a man of war, and has good judgment. He is also a fine-looking young man, and the LORD is with him.”
So Saul sent messengers to Jesse to say, “Send me your son David, the shepherd.” Jesse responded by sending David to Saul, along with a young goat, a donkey loaded with bread, and a wineskin full of wine. So David went to Saul and began serving him. Saul loved David very much, and David became his armour bearer. Then Saul sent word to Jesse asking, “Please let David remain in my service, for I am very pleased with him.”
1. David has been appointed as King but how did God use him in this passage?
2. If God used David to serve Saul while he was depressed. How do you think God could use us to help people around us?
3. David went form harp player to the Kings armor barrier (a role with more influence). What do you think David to gain more influence?
4. God wants to use us to influence people around us. What do you think some keys to this are?
- How does this apply to my life?
- What am I going to do this week?