Adam and Eve eat the forbidden fruit. This is where sin first enters the world and everything starts to fall apart. In the bible this is known as “The Fall”, where innocent obedience turned into the state of guilty disobedience.
'The serpent was the shrewdest of all the wild animals the Lord God had made. One day he asked the woman, “Did God really say you must not eat the fruit from any of the trees in the garden?” “Of course we may eat fruit from the trees in the garden,” the woman replied. “It’s only the fruit from the tree in the middle of the garden that we are not allowed to eat. God said, ‘You must not eat it or even touch it; if you do, you will die.’”
“You won’t die!” the serpent replied to the woman. “God knows that your eyes will be opened as soon as you eat it, and you will be like God, knowing both good and evil.” The woman was convinced. She saw that the tree was beautiful and its fruit looked delicious, and she wanted the wisdom it would give her. So she took some of the fruit and ate it. Then she gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it, too. At that moment their eyes were opened, and they suddenly felt shame at their nakedness. So they sewed fig leaves together to cover themselves.
When the cool evening breezes were blowing, the man and his wife heard the Lord God walking about in the garden. So they hid from the Lord God among the trees. Then the Lord God called to the man, “Where are you?” He replied, “I heard you walking in the garden, so I hid. I was afraid because I was naked.” “Who told you that you were naked?” the Lord God asked. “Have you eaten from the tree whose fruit I commanded you not to eat?” The man replied, “It was the woman you gave me who gave me the fruit, and I ate it.”'
1. If Eve was allowed to eat all the other fruit in the garden; why do you think she ate the one she was told not to?
2. Sometimes we do what we know we shouldn’t do; why do you think sometimes we still do it?
3. The serpent was able to convince Eve to eat the fruit when she stopped and gave him her attention. Why is it important what you give your attention to?
4. What do are some of things you think give your attention to and how do you think it affects you? (e.g. music, movies, thought life)
5. its said that you don’t stop sinning by focusing on the sin, you stop it by focusing on what is right. What are some things you think we should be focused on?
- How does this apply to my life?
- What am I going to do this week?